Drafts entering your home through doors and windows can make your indoor environment quite uncomfortable. In most cases, drafts will enter your home through windows for one of two reasons: 1) they are cracked, or 2) they are old and worn down. However, the good news is that there are some things you can do to limit this issue. This replacement windows company in Racine, Wisconsin is going to provide some tips below.
First: Why Do Windows Get Drafty?
As the top-rated replacement windows company in Racine, Wisconsin, we often get asked why windows create drafts. Windows weather with use and time. Even the most superior quality windows will need some maintenance as they age. The aging factor and poor upkeep can create drafts, and your energy bill could suffer because of it. It’s important to keep an eye on the condition of your windows and look for ways to eliminate drafts. Getting rid of drafts can help you save a considerable amount of energy in the long run.
Ways to Fix Drafty Windows
If your windows are letting in outside air, you’ve got a problem, no matter how beautiful or high quality your windows are. While you could always have new ones installed by a replacement windows company in Racine, Wisconsin, you might not necessarily need to replace them. There are several alternatives you can try first to restore a drafty window, including:
- Install quality draft stoppers
- Repair, replace, or add new weatherstripping around the windows
- Apply caulk, a putty-like substance, along the window frame
- Fill any gaps bigger than ¼” with a foam backer rod before caulking
- Replace cracked panes immediately or use crack seal solutions for a quick fix
- Use insulating treatments, such as thermal lined curtains or cellular shades
- Wrap windows with plastic shrink film to achieve an airtight seal
- Remove and add fresh glazing to improve the window’s insulation
- Use Styrofoam board to insulate the basement windows
- Add storm windows to the existing windows, for these can help reduce outside noise, look good, and protect current windows.
- Sometimes, improperly-working window locks may allow strong drafts, so keep checking on them.
When cracks develop, glazing falls away, caulking degrades, or the frame shrinks, don’t wait any longer. It’s recommended that you contact a replacement windows company in Racine, Wisconsin to explore your options.
Replace Your Windows
The fixes mentioned above are effective but short-lived. Sometimes, the most efficient way to stop drafts coming through windows is to have your replacement windows company in Racine, Wisconsin install new ones. Replacing your windows will help prevent drafts from entering your home throughout the year. Installing dual or triple-pane windows with energy-efficient features will allow you to get you the most bang for your buck.
Replacing windows may be a considerable investment, but it is well worth the time, effort, and expense if you have old, inefficient windows.
New windows ensure adequate functionality, add to the aesthetics, and provide contemporary features for more convenience. They will also prevent drafts and help you save significantly on utility bills in the long run. If you would like to learn more, do not hesitate to reach out to your local replacement windows company in Racine, Wisconsin.
Looking for a Replacement Windows Company in Racine, Wisconsin?
Are you ready to have new windows installed in your home? If so, and if you’re looking for the top-rated replacement windows company in Racine, Wisconsin, WASCO Windows is the company to call. Not sure what type of windows are right for your home? Our friendly staff is here to walk you through all your options.
Contact us today to get started.